Friday, November 9, 2007

November and the habitat



It has been a while since I posted, most things are doing very well out in the yard. I put the wild lime out in the back, and it has several giant swallowtail caterpillars on it. I feel great about this, because I wasn't sure if the first ones hatched from eggs that came with the plant. Now I know that I am getting them in my yard and they are laying eggs. I am getting lots of butterflies, the most exciting one has been the zebra longwing, it is the state butterfly for Florida, but I haven't been seeing around locally. Looks like the host plants for the caterpillars and all the flowers are attracting them. We have a new garden with almost all native plants, and everything seems to be thriving, but it needs to do a lot of filling in before it really looks good.



Next weekend I am hoping to go to a huge plant show with my sister, and there are several plants I am hoping to find. I am really to the point now where I know which ones seem to do the best, and which ones attract the most butterflies. Now that I know this, I am going to be getting in more of the perennials. I will still do some annuals, but probaby keep them in pots so when they die I can just move the pot.

I am learning more each day, and working to encourage more people to have their yard certified. It is so wonderful to step outside each day and to discover something new in your own backyard.

No comments: