Friday, September 14, 2007

The Butterfly Garden


I planted the butterfly garden to meet one of the requirements of the National Wildlife Backyard Habitat program. It provides food for the butterflies, it also is proving a lot of habitat for the lizards who hide in it, and who hunt some of the other bugs that hang out there.

The main plants in it are the porter weeds, at least one kind is native to Florida, and they thrive without a lot of water once established. Another one is the sunshine mimosa which is a native sensitive plant which closes when you touch it. It is so pretty with it's pink blossoms that look like poms poms. We also have a native coreopsis, or tick seed plant. That is new, but I think it is going to do great.

Besides the natives, we have pentas, a turnera, I love that one, but it only blooms early in the morning. The bees just love that one, they roll in it. They also love the anise hyssop. I have to admit, I love this plant, the leaves make great tea.

We also have several other areas that are being slowly planted as money allows. We have passion vines that are attracting gulf frittilary . I am having a hard time though explaining to people that I want the caterpillars to eat the leaves, and no I don't want to know a good spray. That seems to be the hardest thing for a lot of people to understand.

1 comment:

Libi said...

Testing...testing. This is only a test. If this were a real comment, something witty would have been typed here. :)