Saturday, November 10, 2007

A bit off track


I don't just grow my garden for wildlife, I do it for my own enjoyment. For several years now I have been trying to grow herbs. Now South Florida is harsh place to grow them. You read that the plant likes full sun, so you find a nice sunny spot, and the plant is dead two days later. Full sun in most of the USA, doesn't mean full sun here. Now, trying to find shade in my yard isn't easy, we have the one large tree in the front, sometimes I put herbs there, but they are not in a place that is convienent if you need to give them a quick watering, so I lose some. I can put them way in the backyard, but then I lose the convenience of just walking outside my kitchen door and grabbing a few leaves for supper. I do keep a few on my windowsill, but space is limited there since I am still using that space for rooting and taking care of plants that I suddenly find wilted or broke and need a few weeks of special care.

So far I haven't really convinced my husband that we don't need a bland front yard with just one tree and grass, so I can't dig out a nice area in the front and make a wagon wheel shaped herb garden. I finally came up with a solution that is making everyone happy. I went out and bought a huge pot, and I mean huge, I had to put 100 pounds of dirt in it, then I planted basil, rosemary, thyme,dill, tarragon and chives in it. These are the herbs I use the most. It sits by the door and when I need something for cooking I can just run out and get it. It is starting to fill in and looking pretty good, and I expect it to do well during the cooler months.

No comments: